Friday 28 December 2007

Yesterday I went to school again. Why? The PMR results are here, waiting to be divulge by hundreds of anxious students, some fearing, others confident and cheerful. The looks on these people's faces were enough to tell you much about their results, though there are always exceptions. Me, I was expresionless. To some, I may appear cool and under control of the situation, but inside, it was like a raging sea. My hopes and fears are fighting hard to gain balance, and I was fighting hard to control my emotions. My father kept trying to chide me, but I ignored him. My mother, on the other hand, just said that whatever happens, it won't change anything. Really? Do you mean it? Usually, I never believed it anyway. What with the looks on my family's face and my full-to-burst cousin brother, I felt like someone had just dumped a load of weight on me. As I expected, my cousin called just as I reached the school. To gloat. That he just recieved his results and he passed with straight A's. I could've killed him. Luckily when I saw the number I just passed it to my mother. Let her defend me. I need to stay as cool as possible for the time being, preparing for the worst and the best, and no one is going to disrupt that. Finally, after a long wait, it came anyway. I stayed back. Let the others read their results first. The emotion I felt was too much, unbearable, in fact. After five minutes, I still walked forward towards the sea of students and parents alike. My parents stayed away from a distance. I was grateful for that. At least if it went wrong, they wouldn't need to see it. I peered, and thank God, I passed. Straight A's. The feeling naturally was elated, still I tried to keep it in me, some of my friends were not so lucky, I didn't want them to feel worse. My parents, delighted, but still cool and composed. I had inherited their control over emotional behaviour. The news was passed around my family like hot cakes, and I was floating. That night, I knew I had to keep it up, to wipe off the smirk on my cousin's face once and for all.

No comments: